If you’re a business, sole trader or not-for-profit organisation in NSW and you’ve been impacted by the recent COVID-19 restrictions, you may be eligible for a one-off grant of $7,500, $10,500 or $15,000.
The 2021 COVID-19 business grant provides support for businesses that experienced reduced demand or had to close due to the public health orders. It will support businesses with cash flow for the first 3 weeks of the Greater Sydney lockdown which started on 26 June 2021.
What it covers
Eligible applicants across NSW can use the grant for business costs incurred from 1 June 2021, including:
- utilities, wages and rent
- financial, legal or other advice to support business continuity planning
- marketing and communications activities to develop the business
- the cost of perishable goods that can no longer be used
- other activities to support the operation of the business.
Eligible businesses receiving either the Small Business Grant or the Hospitality and Tourism Grant can receive:
- $15,000 for a decline in turnover of 70%, or more
- $10,500 for a decline in turnover of 50%, or more
- $7,500 for a decline in turnover of 30%, or more
The decline in turnover is calculated by comparing the business’s turnover over a minimum two-week period after lockdown commenced (26 June ), to a minimum two-week period in June and/or July (not July 2020 as the desired comparison period is specifically June or July 2019 which was pre-COVID).
To be eligible for the grant, you must:
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN)
- demonstrate your business was operating in NSW as at 1 June 2021
- have had total annual Australian wages of $10 million or less as at 1 July 2020
- have had an aggregated annual turnover between $75,000 and $50 million (inclusive) for the year ended 30 June 2020
- have business costs for which there is no other government support available
- maintain your employee headcount as at 13 July 2021. See the guidelines for definitions.
Three different grant amounts will be available depending on the decline in turnover experienced over a minimum 2-week period from 26 June 2021 to 17 July 2021, compared to the same period in 2019:
- $7,500 for a decline of 30% or more
- $10,500 for a decline of 50% or more
- $15,000 for a decline of 70% or more.
Businesses and not-for-profit organisations on the NSW border with Victoria impacted by the stay-at-home orders that began on 27 May 2021 may use a different comparison period to demonstrate a decline in turnover. For each of the 3 grant amounts, these businesses must demonstrate a decline in turnover over a minimum 2-week period from 27 May 2021 to 17 July 2021.
How to apply
Applications for the Grant can be made through the Service NSW website from 19 July 2021 with payments expected to be made to eligible businesses in four days from application.
Join our mailing list!
Thank you for reading our blog! If you’re not already on our BlueChilli newsletter mailing list, click here to join and be the first to hear about our startup news and events: https://www.bluechilli.com/newsletter/